Tips For Maintaining Excellent Dental Hygiene
Many dental issues reported in dentistry have poor oral hygiene to blame. When you do not keep your mouth clean as you should, plaque and tartar build up on the surfaces of your teeth. These then result in infections in your mouth, ranging from dental cavities and abscessed teeth to gum disease and dental discoloration. To prevent these types of dental issues, there are different strategies in preventive dentistry. However, the fundamental approach for excellent oral health is good oral hygiene.
What Does Oral Hygiene Entail?
Oral hygiene covers many different oral procedures that help maintain a clean mouth. The focus is on getting rid of food residues and bacteria in the mouth, concentration on the surfaces of teeth, and the spaces in between. You cannot rely on one particular technique to excel in oral hygiene. Instead, you have to indulge in different processes continually over a certain period to realize the best results.
The mouth is a conducive environment for bacteria to grow. When you neglect proper oral hygiene, you will have a bacteria overgrowth that will introduce many dental issues. Instead of paying the price of different restorative treatments to care for your health, consider being intentional and frequent with different oral hygiene strategies to keep your mouth clean.
Dental Hygiene Tips for Excellent Oral Health
The thing with oral hygiene is that it is not a one-time solution. Instead, many of the things you have to do to keep your mouth clean have to be done frequently. Some of the tips to help you properly and adequately manage your oral hygiene are:
- Brush your teeth at least twice every day – Ideally, you should keep your mouth free from food residues every time you eat. This means that you should brush your teeth after every meal. However, dentists in San Jose okay brushing teeth at least two times daily, that is, in the morning and at night before bedtime.
- Get a good-quality toothbrush – A good-quality toothbrush is crucial for excelling in oral hygiene. The number one aspect is to ensure you get a toothbrush with strong bristles to clean the different surfaces of your mouth. However, the bristles should still be soft enough to offer the necessary care to your gums.
- Replace old toothbrushes – Ensure you replace your old toothbrush. Dental experts recommend changing it after about 3 months or less. However, if the bristles of your toothbrush are already worn out, do not wait for the 3-month mark to change your toothbrush. The reason for this is to ensure that the brush you use for your teeth is effective for removing plaque on the surfaces of your teeth.
- Floss daily – Dental flossing should not be substituted with regular teeth brushing. Brushing your teeth diligently does not sufficiently cater to the area between your teeth. For those, dental floss is best at reaching into the tight spaces between teeth. Flossing helps remove any food residues, as well as the plaque in between teeth, without hurting your gums or teeth.
- Use mouthwash – Mouthwashes are great for rinsing the mouth while getting rid of remnant bacteria thereof. Besides, mouthwash will help leave your mouth feeling fresh for a longer time than without it.
- Get regular dental cleanings done – Visiting a dentist regularly should be part of your dental care routine if you want to excel in oral hygiene. A professional deep cleaning session for your mouth is necessary, twice annually. While you may be cleaning your mouth properly at home, it may not be enough to maintain excellent oral hygiene. Having a dental hygienist involved in your oral hygiene routine will boost your oral health. Besides, dental experts use special dental products that are very effective in thoroughly cleaning your teeth.
- Get fluoride treatment – This treatment entails enriching the enamel of your teeth with fluoride, which is a natural mineral that strengthens teeth. Fluoride treatments are administered in dental facilities by dentists. During these sessions, your dentist will also evaluate your oral hygiene before applying the varnish. The result of your treatment will be strong, clean, and healthy teeth. Aside from that, ensure you use fluoride-based toothpaste and mouthwash to continually enrich your teeth with this mineral.